kulcha recipe on tawa | amritsari kulcha recipe | aloo kulcha recipe with detailed photo and video recipe. a typical punjabi cuisine indian flat bread recipe prepared with all purpose flour / maida with potato stuffing. amritsari naan or kulcha is typically baked in indian tandoor oven but this recipe is uses tawa on stove top.
kulcha recipe on tawa | amritsari kulcha recipe | aloo kulcha recipe with step by step photo and video. a popular naan bread recipe from indian and pakistan cuisine which is typically consumed with chole masala or channa masala. amritsari kulcha is a potato stuffed kulcha recipe which is popular bread recipe from amritsar, a city in punjab.
i always prepare kulcha recipe for my lunch or dinner with any paneer based curries or with soya chunks curry. however, i was surprised to learn that in punjab these naan bread recipes are eaten for breakfast. especially aloo kulcha recipe with plain raita or mint raita is the most popular in sub continent. i also like it with simple mango pickle or even with dal makhani.
furthermore, some important tips and suggestions for a perfect amritsari kulcha recipe. firstly, i have kneaded the dough with plain luke warm water, however even warm milk can be used to knead the dough. this would result in a soft and layered kulcha recipe. secondly, always apply water to backside of kulcha before heating it on tawa or oven. lastly, the potato stuffing can be completely ignored and you can prepare plain kulcha recipe.
finally, i would like to highlight my other indian roti recipes collection and paratha recipes collection. this mainly includes, garlic naan, rumali roti, tandoori roti, methi thepla, kerala parotta, gobi paratha and aloo paratha recipe. in addition i would request to check my other recipes collection board like,
amritsari kulcha or aloo kulcha video recipe:
recipe card for amritsari kulcha or aloo kulcha recipe:
kulcha recipe | amritsari kulcha recipe | aloo kulcha recipe
easy kulcha recipe | amritsari kulcha recipe | aloo kulcha recipe
Author: Hebbar’s Kitchen
Ingredients (1 cup = 250 ML)
to prepare dough:
- cupsmaida / all-purpose flour / refined flour / plain flour
- tspbaking powder
- ¼tspbaking soda
- salt to taste
- ¼cupcurd / yogurtfresh thick
- luke water as requiredto knead
for potato stuffing:
- large potatoboiled and peeled
- green chilifinely chopped
- ½tspkashmiri red chili powder / lal mirch powder
- ¼tspgaram masala powder
- ¼tspaamchur powder / dry mango powder
- ¼tspajwain / carrom seeds
- tbspcoriander leavesfinely chopped
- salt to taste
- tspblack sesame seeds / til
- tbspcoriander leavesfinely chopped
firstly, knead the dough for 10 minutes with ingredients listed for dough.
cover with a moist cloth and rest for 2 hours in warm place.
meanwhile, in a mixing bowl prepare stuffing mixing the ingredients listed for stuffing.
after 2 hours, pinch a ball sized dough.
and roll to 5 inch circular disk and place aloo stuffing in the centre.
take the edge and start pleating bringing to centre.
sprinkle some sesame seeds and coriander leaves.
gently roll to oval shape using rolling pin.
brush with water over kulcha.
furthermore, slowly flip over and put it on hot tawa and press gently.
after a minute, flip the tawa upside down and cook kulcha directly on flame till they turn golden brown
finally, spread some more butter and serve aloo kulcha hot.
how to make amritsari kulcha with step by step photo:
kulcha dough recipe:
- firstly, in a large mixing bowl add maida, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, curd and oil.
- mix well making sure everything is combined well.
- further add luke warm water and knead the dough for 10 minutes.
- add more water if required and knead to smooth and soft dough.
- cover with a moist cloth and rest for 2 hours in warm place.
aloo kulcha stuffing recipe:
- firstly, in a mixing bowl take boiled and peeled potato.
- further mash the potatoes well.
- mix well making sure everything is combined well. keep aside.
preparing aloo kulcha recipe:
- after 2 hours, knead the dough slightly. to remove if any air present in the dough.
- pinch a ball sized dough.
- and roll to 5 inch circular disk. apply oil if the dough is sticking to the rolling pin.
- further place a ball sized aloo stuffing in the centre.
- take the edge and start pleating bringing to centre.
- also join the pleats together and secure tight.
- reverse the ball to avoid any pleats from forming.
- sprinkle some sesame seeds and coriander leaves.
- further slightly press and flatten with your hand.
- reverse it upside down, making sure the coriander leaves and sesame seeds faces down.
- gently roll to oval shape using rolling pin. make sure you do not make too thin nor thick. and also keep the size in mind. it should not be larger than your tawa size.
- brush with water over kulcha. make sure you coat uniformly. this helps kulcha to stick on tawa.
- furthermore, slowly flip over and put it on hot tawa. remember, be gentle and put the water coated side down to tawa. also do not use nonstick tawa.
- slightly press. this helps the kulcha to stick on to the tawa and when you can flip the tawa upside down it will be intact.
- now after a minute, flip the tawa upside down and cook kulcha directly on flame till they turn golden brown
- also add some more butter (this is optional, however, helps to make your kulcha stays soft for longer time)
- gently remove scrape the kulcha from bottom and remove.
- firstly, knead to smooth a soft dough else kulcha will be chewy.
- also to prepare plain kulcha just skip the stuffing part.
- applying water is mandatory. this helps naan or kulcha to stick to tawa and can reverse the tawa and cook directly on flame.
- in addition, you can also use oven or tandoor to bake the kulcha instead of tawa. but never use nonstick tawa as it slips while reversing.
- furthermore, roll to any desired shape. however, i like to keep it oval as it looks similar to the one served in restaurants.
- finally, amritsari kucha or aloo kulcha taste great when served hot.